These little Vietnamese fresh summer rolls are delightfully refreshing. They contain a selection of colourful julienned vegetables (carrot, beetroot, cucumber batons), fresh herbs, lettuce, rice noodles and marinated paper tofu – a true healthy treat! Serve on there own or with a sauce. Sweet chilli, satay or even more of the marinade for the tofu are all great options.
Paper tofu or tofu skins can be purchased a most good Asian supermarkets. I pre-slice the tofu and then marinate it, for simplicity. Below is what it looks like and how I prepare it.
Rolling the summer rolls can be a little tricky, but once you’ve made this recipe once, you will be a pro in no time at all! It’s important to keep the rolls separated from each other, since they will stick together and tear when pulled apart.
Tofu summer rolls
- 1 small bunch carrots, peeled and julienned
- 3 small beetroot, peeled and julienned
- 1 little gem lettuce shredded
- 1 cucumber, cut into batons
- 100 g paper tofu
- coriander, chopped
- mint, chopped
- 10-20 sheets rice paper
- 100 g rice noodles, cooked and sat in cold water
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb sized root ginger, grated
- Mix the marinade and pour over the sliced paper tofu. Let is sit from ½ hour to overnight in the fridge.4 tbsp tamari, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic, crushed, 1 thumb sized root ginger, grated, 100 g paper tofu
- In rice paper, set a small amount of the julienned vegetables, lettuce, rice noodles, herbs, and tofu and wrap well.1 small bunch carrots, peeled and julienned, 3 small beetroot, peeled and julienned, 1 little gem lettuce shredded, 1 cucumber, cut into batons, coriander, chopped, mint, chopped, 100 g rice noodles, cooked and sat in cold water, 10-20 sheets rice paper
- Serve on its own, or dip in some more of the marinade.