Sweet potato and tart salty feta wrapped in a crispy corn tortilla wrap topped with a chipotle chili and soured cream sauce. Yum!
Roasting the sweet potato results in a more caramel flavour compared with other methods of cooking. It also dehydrates the potato slightly resulting in an extra thick texture.
After rolling the filling inside the tortilla wrap, brush liberally with oil. After the first lot has been absorbed, apply again. This double application helps get the tortilla wrap extra golden brown and crispy.
Below is a photo of mixing the soured cream with chipotle paste. You can buy this chipotle paste in most supermarkets now. I recommend you definitely use chipotle paste though – there is a smokey, fruity flavour from this type of chilli which is hard to replicate from other chilli pastes. Most pastes do have fruit and vinegars added in addition to the chilli to make them much more mild – so don’t worry about adding too much!
Sweet potato, black bean and feta taquitos
- 2 sweet potatoes 1about 700 g
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 120 g cooked black beans ½ a 400 g tin drained
- 200 g feta cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander
- 8 corn tortilla wraps
- 1 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- 2 little gem lettuce
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 3 spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Chop the sweet potato into 2 cm cubes and coat them with 1 tbsp olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Place them in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until the edges are just begining to turn brown.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Mash the sweet potato and mix the beans, crumbled feta cheese and chopped coriander. Divide this mixture roughly into eight and spoon it into the centre of the tortillas, roll the tortilla wrap around the sweet potato mixture into a sausage shape. Brush the tortilla wraps liberally with olive oil and leave to sit for a few minutes. Once the oil has been absorbed into the tortilla wrap, brush again with oil and place in the oven.
- Cook the taquitos in the oven until the are brown all oven – an indication the tortilla wrap will be nice and crisp. This should take around 30 – 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salad of chopped spring onion, cherry tomatoes and little gem lettuce. Also make the sauce by mising the chipotle chilli paste with tthe soured cream.
- Serve the taquitos ontop of the salad and dress with sauce.