These stuffed peppers have come a long way from the stuffed peppers I grew up with in the 80’s! Sweet romano peppers stuffed with potato and courgette, cool mint and sharp feta cheese create a flavour and texture sensation. This dish is perfect for a starter or light lunch when you feel like bold summer flavours.
Whilst looking more like a massive chilli, the long red tapering romano peppers taste like a sweeter and stronger bell pepper. They are in season in the UK from late summer until autumn, although you can find them in supermarkets most of the year after being shipped from Spain.
Courgette (also known as summer squash, or zucchini in the USA), share a similar season to the romano peppers and are a staple in any vegetable grower’s kitchen. They really are a prolific plant, continuously producing courgettes from early summer until autumn. Gardeners can often get stuck for interesting recipe ideas in summer and end up giving most of their courgette produce away. This is a perfect recipe to use some of that summer produce up.
This recipe is fairly straight forward. All it requires is par-boiling the potatoes and grating them with the raw courgette. I grate the ingredients in a food processor, which takes seconds, and saves valuable time. Then you mix the courgette and potatoes with chopped mint and spring onion and crumbled feta, season with salt and black pepper, and spoon this mixture into the halved peppers. Heat for 20 minutes in a preheated oven and voila! You can enjoy these bold summer flavours for a starter or a light main.
Stuffed romano peppers with courgette, mint and feta
- 6 romano peppers (long sweet peppers)
- 1 courgette, grated
- 4 medium potatoes
- 150 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 20 g mint, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Boil a saucepan of water and place the potatoes in to cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your other ingredients and slice the peppers longitudinally, leaving the stem intact on one side. Place them on a baking tray
- Drain and cool the potatoes and coursely grate them. Add them to the courgette, mint, feta and spring onion and mix with a little salt and pepper.
- Spoon the potato and courgette mixture into the peppers and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.