Spaghetti squash is so easy to cook into low carb spaghetti. It can be a bit bland on its own so I created this recipe to jazz it up – and it doesn’t disappoint. The earthy artichokes, acidic lemon, salty pecorino, fresh basil, and roasted pine nuts make this recipe an absolute staple.
Spaghetti squash is one of those veg that is left over in a lot of people’s veg boxes. Lots of people ask me what to do with it. It’s best cut in half, brushed with a little olive oil and salt and roasted for 40 minutes. After that you can scoop the flesh out and tear it into spaghetti strands with forks. You can eat it straight from the oven as it is, or use the spaghetti strands as a replacement for pasta.
The health benefits from spaghetti squash are renowned. It’s a low carb replacement for pasta – so great for those controlling their blood sugar. Also, it’s low in calories, yet high in fibre, vitamins and minerals. Being a good source of vitamin B6, manganese, and vitamin C, and containing small amounts of vitamin B1 (thiamine), magnesium, folate, calcium, and iron, it is a fabulous healthy choice.
Some varieties can be harvested as early as summer/autumn, just 8 weeks after sowing. Like most squash, it survives in a cold dry place for the winter, making it a great winter veg. Here I have combined it with a jar of preserved globe artichokes, giving it that taste of summer.
Spaghetti squash, artichokes, lemon, basil and pecorino
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 280 g jarred globe artichoke hearts
- 50 g pecorino shaved or crumbled
- 30 g basil torn
- 30 g pine nuts toasted
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ a lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half with a sharp knife. Brush it with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven for 40 minutes.1 spaghetti squash, 1 tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt
- Meanwhile, prepare everything else. Zest and juice the lemon, tear the basil, shave the pecorino, drain and finely slice the artichoke hearts. Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until golden brown.280 g jarred globe artichoke hearts, 50 g pecorino, 30 g basil, 1 lemon, zested, ½ a lemon, juiced, 30 g pine nuts
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven a scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Tease the strands apart with two forks. Mix all the ingredients together and serve immediately.