Red pepper and mint isn’t a classic combination but it should be because it is divine. Mixed with salty feta and the soft textured courgette – this quiche is just a taste of summer on a plate.
The red peppers
I used a jar of peppadew peppers here, but you can use any jar of red peppers and cut them to size or even roast your own. I liked the peppadew peppers, not only because of their bitesize, but their strong flavour is sweet with a hint of heat, adding something beautiful to the dish.
Red pepper, courgette, feta and mint quiche
- 90 g cold butter
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 courgette cut in thick rounds and quartered
- 200 g feta cheese cut into small cubes
- 165 g red peppers from a jar I used peppadew which are slightly hot and beautifully sweet
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 200 g Creme Fraiche
- 150 ml double cream
- 3 eggs
- Cut the butter into cube and rub gently into the flour until you have a breadcrumb consistency. Mix in the egg yolk and some water 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture becomes a dough. It is good to let pastry dough rest in the fridge for 30 – 60 min prior to rolling out but if you are in a hurry – just go ahead and roll it out.90 g cold butter, 150 g plain flour, 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Roll the dough until wide enough to fit a quiche tin. Pierce the pastry with a fork several times. Place some greaseproof paper on top of the dough, and place some dried beans or peas on top of the paper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the courgette in a little oil until soft. Allow to cool. Mix with the peppers, feta and mint.1 courgette, 200 g feta cheese, 165 g red peppers from a jar, 3 tbsp finely chopped mint, 1 tbsp olive oil
- Make the custard by whisking the eggs, cream and creme fraiche together.200 g Creme Fraiche , 150 ml double cream, 3 eggs
- Once the dough has been baked for 15 min, remove the beans/peas and greaseproof paper and fill with the courgette, peppers, feta and mint. Pour the custard on top and place back in the oven, having reduced the heat to 160 degrees C. Bake for 40 min or until golden brown.