This cold crisp patty pan squash salad is perfect for a hot summers day. If you can’t get an patty pan squash, courgette will work perfectly too! The slight bitterness of the courgette pairs nicely with the sweet tomatoes, salty cheese and slightly sharp dressing.
All courgettes produce a lot over summer, and these patty pan squash are another prolific type. The patty pan’s look beautiful and are great for cooking any way you would cook a courgette. I love placing them on a hot griddle since it seems to amplify their slight bitter flavour.
Patty pan squash salad
- 1 grill pan
- 1 bunch patty pan squash or some courgettes
- 200 g cherry or small plum tomatoes
- 100 g feta cheese
- 25 g basil
- 25 g pine nuts
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp mustard
- salt and black pepper
- Slice the patty pan squash into 0.5 cm slices and place them on griddle pan on a high heat. Turn once the squash have nice charred lines across them. Once cooked on both sides, remove from the heat and cool.
- Mix the cooled patty pan squash, quartered tomatoes, crumbled feta, torn basil and toasted pine nuts.
- Pour over the dressing (oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper).