This is one of the quickest dishes I cook in our house. It’s ready in 5 – 10 minutes and contains mostly store cupboard staples (just 5 ingredients). Plus it’s really healthy and really tasty!Made up of sharp lemon, salty pecorino, creamy butter beans, soft earthy artichoke hearts and herby parsley. Who couldn’t love it!
Butter beans are one of my favourite beans. I love the texture and delicate flavour. They fill you up and provide plenty of fibre, protein, and low glycemic carbohydrates. They are really good for gut bacteria as well. The fibre provides a great substrate for good gut bacteria to thrive. Maintaining good gut bacteria is a hot research topic at the moment with evidence to suggest their involvement in maintaining a good immune system and good mental health, as well as preventing heart disease, cancers and autoimmune diseases.
Lemon and pecorino butter beans with artichoke hearts
- 240 g butter beans drained
- 285 g jar of artichoke hearts preserved in oil, drained with a little of the oil reserved
- 1 lemon zest and ½ juiced
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- 50 g pecorino or parmesan shaved
- Drain the tin of butter beans and the jar of artichoke hearts and reserve a little of the oil. Heat the beans, artichokes and oil until warmed. Mix in the zest of the lemon and lemon juice a little oil and chopped parsley. Serve immediately, with shaved pecorino or parmesan.240 g butter beans, 285 g jar of artichoke hearts, 1 lemon, 50 g pecorino or parmesan, 1 small bunch parsley