Leeks and mushrooms are a fantastic traditional pairing, but the addition of hot smoked salmon takes this dish to another level. It is full of umami flavours and is perfect for a winters evening. It’s pretty easy to cook – easily becoming a weeknight staple in our house.
Hot smoked salmon
Hot smoked salmon is much smokier than cold smoked salmon. It comes in ready to eat pre-packed fillets and breaks into flakes very easily as if it had been baked. It doesn’t need to be cooked again so just a warming suffices.
The bake topping
I used panko breadcrumbs after being heavily inspired by a leek mushroom and cheese bake a friend of mine cooked for me! You can use any topping though: Nigel Slater does a great leek and mushroom crumble and there are many variants of leek and mushrooms in puff pastry around. The panko breadcrumbs are fantastic though – they crisp up really well giving this dish that extra texture it deserves.
Leek, mushroom and smoked salmon bake
- casserole dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 leeks finely chopped
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- ½ tsp thyme leaves finely chopped
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 125 ml whole milk
- 360 g hot smoked salmon flaked
- 150 g panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (180 degrees C fan). Heat the olive oil on a low – medium heat.2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the leeks and sweat for 10 – 15 minutes until very soft. If you lift the lid in this time to stir the leeks be sure to add a couple of tablespoons of water so the leeks don't begin to brown.3 leeks
- Add the thyme and chopped mushrooms and stir well. Cook until the mushrooms are just beginning to release their liquid. Then pour the leek and mushrooms into a small casserole dish.½ tsp thyme leaves, 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- Add the stock and milk to the saucepan and reduce by half to two thirds, over a high heat.250 ml vegetable stock, 125 ml whole milk
- Pour the liquid into the leeks and mushrooms and season with a little salt and pepper. At this point you can add the hot smoked salmon flakes and give it a good stir.360 g hot smoked salmon
- Top with the panko breadcrumbs and pop in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes until the breadcrumbs are browning.150 g panko breadcrumbs