This quick and easy recipe is another taste of summer that can be enjoyed all year round due to jars of preserved red peppers. Blended red peppers, almonds, garlic and vinegar create this divine romesco sauce. It’s sweet, sharp, savoury and so versatile. Here it’s beautifully paired with cod and rocket and is elevated to perfection with an olive, caper and parsley garnish.
Romesco sauce is one of my favourites. Not only are the flavours multidimensional, it takes just 2 minutes to knock up – just throw all the ingredients in the blender and voila! It’s a really versatile sauce too. You can pair it with fish, chicken or vegetables. It pairs particularly well with cauliflower and romanesco broccoli. Here, I’ve paired it with cod.
If you don’t use all of the romesco sauce, it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of weeks and freezes really well if you want to keep it longer. Here is a recipe for cauliflower and romesco sauce ciabatta as an idea of what to do with excess sauce.
Cod and romesco sauce
- frying pan
- 1 460 g jar red peppers
- 80 g almonds
- 250 ml olive oil good quality extra virgin
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar at a pinch
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 garlic clove
- 500 g cod fillet, deboned and descaled
- 40 g green olives
- 40 g black olives
- 10 g capers
- 1 bunch parsley
- Make the romesco sauce by blending the red peppers, almonds, olive oil, vinergar and garlic until smooth.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the cod fillets for 2 – 3 minutes on each side.
- In the meantime, loosely chop the olives, capers and parsley and mix.
- To serve, places a few tablespoons of romesco sauce on a plate, top with a handful of rocket, followed by the cooked cod. Garnish with the chopped olive, caper and parsley.