Here, cauliflower is blended into cauliflower rice and roasted for that rich flavour. It’s then mixed with cannellini beans, which results in a soft (but not sloppy) texture. Serve this in a soft white bun with lettuce, fried capers and beetroot relish for the ultimate veggie burger.
Cauliflower rice is just a whole cauliflower, cut into florets and then pulsed in the food processor until the pieces are about the size of rice. If you don’t have a food processor, you can grate the cauliflower. Roasting it in the oven reduces the water content but also induces the maillard reaction – the browning which develops the flavour profile. This is how it should look after being in the oven twice and turning it:
Any beans will do here, but I prefer white beans, so the burger stays a pale colour. Beans from tins have the ideal mushy texture, but if you are using dried beans – just cook them slightly longer than normal to replicate the mushiness. Oven roasting the beans for 15 minutes should split the skins and let them slightly dry out. This is an essential step to reduce the water content and stop the burger from becoming too sloppy.
Make it vegan
Two beaten eggs in the recipe bind the beans, breadcrumbs and cauliflower together. These can easily be swapped for flax eggs – just 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds) and 2.5 tbsp of water per egg substitute.
This can be served on its own, but I think the cauliflower flavour is really complemented by beetroot relish and fried capers. If you’re not vegan, try it with this brown butter mayonnaise aswell. The nutty brown butter flavour just goes so well with cauliflower and capers
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until the pieces are about the size of rice. Spread the cauliflower into a thin layer on a baking tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown.1 cauliflower (approximately 600 g)
- Stir the cauliflower around and spread it into one thin layer again. Place back in the oven for 15 minutes. On a seperate baking sheet, place the cannellini beans in one layer and also place it in the oven for 15 minutes.1 cauliflower (approximately 600 g), 250 g cooked cannellini beans
- Mix the cauliflower, beans, garlic granules, breadcrumbs, egg and a litle salt and pepper in a bowl. Press the mixture with the back of a spoon so the beans start to turn to mush. Divide the mixture into four and make into burger shapes.1 cauliflower (approximately 600 g), 250 g cooked cannellini beans, ½ tcp garlic powder or garlic granules, 50 g breadcrumbs, 1 pinch salt, 2 eggs or flax eggs
- Fry the burgers in a little oil with the capers. When ready, serve them in a burger bun with lettuce and beetroot relish and perhaps some brown butter mayonnaise.1 tbsp olive oil, 8 tbsp beetroot relish, 4 burger buns, handful lettuce leaves, 4 tbsp brown butter mayonnaise, 4 tsp capers