This is a modern take on the classic vegetable side dish of boiled/steamed peas and carrots. Roasting the carrots, gives them a sweet caramel flavour that pairs nicely with the freshness of the herby pea puree. The addition of butterbeans make it more of a substantial meal than a side.
The butter beans
You can blend them if you like. They make a great alternative to chickpeas in a humous. Just blend with a few tablespoons of lemon juice, a clove of garlic, a tablespoon of tahini and some olive oil and water to loosen. If you don’t have the time or inclination – its still good served as is!
Herby pea puree
Mint and parsley work really well here. Any soft herbs will work here, particularly tarragon. It needs a little bit of salt and acidity, so a little squeeze of lemon juice is essential! The zest adds lovely citrus aromatics.
Roasting the carrots in a little olive oil and salt and pepper gives them a nice caramel flavour. Be sure to spread them out on the baking tray as you cook them – the closer they are together, the less their liquid can be released and the more likely they will steam rather than roast.
Butter beans with roasted carrots and a herby pea puree
- 1 Blender
- 1 Oven
- 1 kg carrots
- 2 tsbp olive oil for roasting
- 2 tins butter beans
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 small bunch mint
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 squeeze lemon juice to taste
- 150 g peas
- 60 ml olive oil for the pea puree
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Peel and chop the carrots into bite size batons. Coat them with the olive oil for cooking and a little salt and pepper.Place them on a baking tray in the oven for 20 – 25 mins until soft.1 kg carrots, 2 tsbp olive oil
- Blend the peas, lemon zest, teaspoon of lemon juice, mint, parsley and good quality olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.1 small bunch parsley, 1 small bunch mint, 1 lemon zested, 1 squeeze lemon juice to taste, 150 g peas, 60 ml olive oil
- When the carrots are nearly finished, heat the butter beans in a little water until hot and drain.2 tins butter beans
- Assemble the dish. I like to cover the butter bean with the herby pea puree and top with carrots.