One of my favourite summer dips is baba ganoush, originating from eastern Mediterranean. It’s basically hummus with the chickpeas replaced by aubergine. The aubergine is usually cooked on a BBQ or open flame to give it a really smoky flavour, but this recipe roasts them in the oven and adds a little hot smoked paprika. The result is still an mouth watering dip!
How to serve
Enjoy this as you would hummus. Serve with some toasted pita bread or cut vegetables.
Best baba ganoush
- 1 Oven
- 2 tbsp cooking olive oil
- 2 aubergines
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced about 2 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp good quality olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Halve the aubergines and brush the cut side with olive oil. Sprinkle a little salt. Place cut side down on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until you press the aubergine and it collapses easily. Allow to cool.2 tbsp cooking olive oil, 2 aubergines
- Mix the rest of the ingredients3 tbsp tahini, 1 lemon, juiced, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp parsley, 3 tbsp good quality olive oil, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp salt
- Peel the aubergine. Take the flesh and squeeze as much water out as possible. Stir the flesh into the rest of the ingredients shredding the aubergine with some forks.
- Sprinkle with a little more paprika and olive oil, and serve.